TUCSON, Ariz. (KOLD News 13) – The Pima Animal Care Center is asking for help clearing space for incoming dogs.
All kennels, including those that are not public, are used to house stray animals. The refuge also places pop-up doghouses around the refuge to make room.
“We’ve been at full capacity for a long time and we’re critical again,” said Monica Dangler, director of animal services.
On average, the shelter welcomes 10 to 15 more pets than it leaves each day. While large breed dogs are the main challenge, PACC also has many adult cats and kittens that need to be placed.
People can help in several ways:
- Adopt a medium to large sized dog.
- Foster a medium to large sized dog.
- Hang in there with these friendly strays that appear in the neighborhood. They probably belong to one of your neighbors. People can knock on doors in the area and will likely find the owner within hours. If the finder needs supplies to cling to the animal, PACC will provide these supplies free of charge. Pets that stay in the neighborhood where they are have an 80% chance of returning home. This rate drops to 20% if they come to the shelter.
- File a loss report immediately and upload a photo to http://www.lost.petcolove.org. Owners will be alerted when a dog matching theirs enters PACC or HSSA.
- Donate to the Friends of Pima Animal Care Center at friendsofpacc.org.
PACC also offers Reclaim Forgiveness for stray animals. However, each case will be handled on an individual basis. To see if your pet is at the shelter, check the consumption every hour, as it changes throughout the day.
“The majority of what comes into the shelter are large strays,” Dangler said. “If you find a stray dog and you can hold on to it, you will be helping that dog and the dog that will likely take its place in a kennel at PACC.”
Due to the volume of calls and the emergency in the shelter, PACC is prioritizing adoptions, so non-emergency calls may be delayed.
For specific questions about pets at PACC, adoptions, or foster homes, people should drop by the shelter in person. For emergency calls, people can call the dispatch line at (520) 724-5900 and press 4.
Copyright 2022 KOLD News 13. All rights reserved.